Scotiabank Secure Email Service
The Scotiabank Secure Email Service is a service that enables Scotiabank employees to securely send personal or confidential information at your request using e-mail. Scotiabank customers/business partners will also be able to securely reply back to Scotiabank employee secure e-mails. The Scotiabank Secure Email Service is managed by Scotiabank and all information sent does not leave the Bank’s internal systems. The personal or confidential information sent in a secure e-mail will not be displayed in your personal email Inbox. Instead, you will receive a generic notification to advise you each time a Scotiabank employee has sent you an e-mail. To retrieve the content of the e-mail, you are required to log into the Scotiabank Secure Email Service using your e-mail address and a password.
Customer Guide 2
This guide provides step by step instructions for the following components of the Scotiabank Secure Email Service:
Receiving a Secure Email from Scotiabank ........................................................................... 3
One Time Registration ........................................................................................................... 5
Opening a Secure Email ...................................................................................................... 10
Replying to a Secure Email .................................................................................................. 11
Secure Email Password Reset ............................................................................................. 13
Secure Email FAQs .............................................................................................................. 17
Scotiabank Safe Computing Information .............................................................................. 19
Customer Guide 3
Receiving a Secure Email from Scotiabank This section outlines the instructions for receiving a Secure Email from Scotiabank.
1. A Scotiabank employee has confidential/personal information you requested they send to you via e-mail.
2. An e-mail is composed and sent to your e-mail address with the confidential/personal information which may include e-mail attachments.
3. You will receive an e-mail notification from [emailprotected] indicating that a Scotiabank employee has sent you an e-mail through the Secure Email System.
4. The “Scotiabank Secure Email” provides an access link to the Scotiabank Secure Email Service. When the link is selected, your web browser will launch and direct you to the Scotiabank Secure Email log in page (see Figure 1).
Customer Guide 4
Customer Guide 5
One Time Registration
This section outlines the instructions for registering your e-mail address on the Scotiabank Secure Email Service.
1. When accessing the “Scotiabank Secure Email Service” for the first time, you are required to select the “Register Now” link from the ‘User Log In’ screen to register your e-mail address (see Figure 2).
If previously registered, sign in with your e-mail address and password.
Customer Guide 6
2. The next screen will display with your e-mail address pre-populated in the ‘E-mail Address’ field. Verify the correct e-mail address has been populated and click ‘Register’ to continue (see Figure 3).
3. A ‘Thank you’ page will appear when you have successfully registered your e-mail address (see Figure 4). A confirmation e-mail and temporary password will be sent to your e-mail address.
Customer Guide 7
4. To log in you are required to retrieve the confirmation e-mail that was sent to your e-mail Inbox (see Figure 5). The confirmation e-mail will contain your temporary password.
5. Click the “Scotiabank Secure Email Service” link within the confirmation e-mail. You will now be directed to the
Secure Email log in page.
Tip: Make a note of the temporary password provided as it is needed to log into the Scotiabank Secure Email Service for the first time.
Customer Guide 8
6. On the log in page, enter your e-mail address and temporary password that was provided to you in the confirmation e-mail. Once complete, click the “Sign In” button (see Figure 6).
7. Once you’ve logged in using the temporary password, you will be prompted to create a display name and new
8. Complete all the required fields marked with an asterisk (*) (see Figure 7). Once completed, click the “Save” button to continue. If the new password meets the requirements, green checkmarks will display next to each of the password criteria.
Note: The password Hint field is highly recommended to be filled in as the Hint will assist with password recovery in the event your password is forgotten.
9. Select a ‘Challenge Question’ from the list provided and enter the answer in the ‘Answer’ field. The challenge question will be asked in the event you forget your password and request a password reset. You will be required to enter in the answer you typed in during registration in order to have your password reset (see Figure 7).
Customer Guide 9
10. The registration process is now complete and your Secure Email mailbox has been created. You can now access
your Scotiabank Secure Email Service mailbox and secure e-mails you’ve received.
Customer Guide 10
Opening a Secure Email
This section outlines the instructions for opening a secure e-mail once registration is complete.
1. Log into the Scotiabank Secure Email Service using your registered e-mail address and password.
Note: The standard method of accessing the Secure Email Service is to click the link within the notification e-mail that was received. 2. There are two methods to open a secure e-mail:
Click the message “You have (#) unread message(s) in your Inbox”;
Click the “Inbox” link in the left column of the Secure Email “Standard Folders” (see Figure 8).
3. Once in your Inbox, all available secure e-mails, either new or previously viewed, will be listed.
4. Click on the e-mail you would like to view.
Note: Secure e-mails will be stored in your Secure Email Inbox for 30 days before automatically being deleted. If you wish to keep the information sent to you, ensure it is saved on your personal computer/device prior to the e-mail’s expiration date.
Customer Guide 11
Replying to a Secure Email
This section outlines the instructions for replying to a secure e-mail.
1. Once you’ve logged into the Scotiabank Secure Email Service and opened an e-mail you wish to reply to, you may either choose to select: “Reply”, “Reply All”, “Delete”, or “Move to” if you no longer need the e-mail (see Figure 9).
Note: If “Reply All” is selected, the e-mail reply will be sent to all of the e-mail addresses that were included on original e-mail. You are not able to add in additional e-mail addresses, you are only able to reply to the original e-mail addresses that were sent in the e-mail initially.
2. Click the “Reply”/ “Reply All” tab to reply securely to the Scotiabank employee who sent you the message. To attach a file select the “Attach a file” button. Compose your e-mail and select the “Send” button to deliver the message (see Figure10).
Customer Guide 12
3. After selecting the “Send” button, a message will advise you that “Your message has been sent” (see Figure 11).
Customer Guide 13
Secure Email Password Reset
This section provides information on how to reset your Secure Email password if it was forgotten or if you have been locked out.
A Secure Email password reset is required when you cannot remember your password after the password “Hint” has been provided, and before you have exceeded the maximum number of log on attempts of five (5).
1. When you have forgotten your password, to assist you in remembering it, enter your e-mail address in the ‘E-mail Address:’ field and select the “See Password Hint” link at the bottom of the log in page (see Figure 12). By clicking this link, the Secure Email Service will send you an automated e-mail message with the password Hint you entered during registration (see Figure 13).
Customer Guide 14
2. If the password Hint option did not assist you in accessing the Secure Email Service, utilize the password reset option.
3. After five (5) attempts, you have locked your Secure Email account by exceeding the maximum number of invalid password attempts and will receive an error message (see Figure 14).
Customer Guide 15
Note: If you receive an error message due to the number of password attempts being exceeded (maximum five), the Secure Email System lockout has a 15 minute timeout period. Once the 15 minute timeout has expired you are granted another five password attempts.
1. Enter your e-mail address in the ‘E-mail Address:’ field and select the “Reset Password” link at the bottom of the page (see Figure 15).
2. Enter the answer you provided during registration to the Challenge Question and click the “Answer” button (see Figure 14).
Customer Guide 16
4. Enter a new password in the “New Password” field and retype it in the “Confirm the New Password” field.
5. Enter a specific Hint to help you remember your password in the event it is forgotten again (see Figure 15).
6. Click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the screen.
7. Select the “Return to Login Page” link at the bottom left of the log in page (see Figure 16). Log in with your e-mail address and new Password.
Customer Guide 17
Secure Email FAQ
This section answers commonly asked questions about the Scotiabank Secure Email Service.
1. When would I receive a secure email from Scotiabank? A secure e-mail would be sent to you when you have requested that an employee send personal/confidential information using e-mail.
2. Why is Scotiabank sending me secure e-mails? Scotiabank is increasing our security measures for e-mail communication to ensure any confidential/personal customer information remains within the Bank’s internal systems.
3. I cannot remember my password, what do I do?
From the “User Login Page”, utilize the “See Password Hint” link to try to remember your password or the “Reset Password” link to reset your password. For more information please reference the section; “Secure Email Password Hint/Reset”.
4. I have tried to reset my password and it is not working, who can I contact? If you are experiencing problems with resetting your password, contact the Bank Employee sending you the e-mail for assistance.
5. I cannot view the secure e-mail I received over a month ago, what happened to the message? Secure e-mails will be held for viewing for 30 days before being deleted. Ensure you save any content or attachments you wish to keep. Please contact the sender if you need to have the information resent to you.
6. Can I receive attachments through the Secure Email Service? Yes, attachments can be received through the Secure Email Service; there is a maximum file size of 30MB per e-mail. The Secure Email Service will not send any e-mails that exceed the maximum file size. An error message will be generated in those instances.
7. What if I didn’t get the first email, what do I do?
Check your Junk Mail folder to ensure that the e-mail did not get flagged as Junk Mail. If the e-mail was in your Junk e-mail folder, label the e-mail address: [emailprotected] not Junk Mail. This will prevent future e-mails from [emailprotected] being sent to your Junk e-mail folder.
Customer Guide 18
8. I have already registered for the Secure Email Service and when I tried to access my account I received an error message, what do I do?
If you have already registered your e-mail address with the Secure Email Service and when logging in you receive an error message, please contact the Scotiabank Employee sending you the e-mail and advise them of the error message.
9. I received an e-mail asking me to provide banking details, what should I do?
Scotiabank does not ask for bank account information in an e-mail. Please reference the section “Scotiabank Safe Computing Information” section on page 19 for links on Scotiabank.com, which provide further information.
10. What are the computer system requirements, what web browsers are supported and can smart phones and tablets access the Scotiabank Secure Email Service?
There are no minimum computer system requirements to access the Scotiabank Secure Email Service. All computers can access the Secure Email Service provided they have a web browser that can access the internet.
Customer Guide 19
Scotiabank Safe Computing Information
This section provides you information from Scotiabank on safe computing.
For more information on Safe Computing and our commitment to customer protection please visit the following links:
Online Security http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,352,00.html
Your Security Responsibility http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,362,00.html
Safe Computing Practices http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2973,00.html
General Security Practices http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2971,00.html
Phishing Scams http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2972,00.html
Online Fraud http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2970,00.html
The Scotiabank Secure Email Service is a service that enables Scotiabank employees to securely send personal or confidential information at your request using e-mail. Scotiabank customers/business partners will also be able to securely reply back to Scotiabank employee secure e-mails.How do I send an email to Scotiabank? ›
Get in touch with a Scotiabank representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.What is Scotia email format? ›
The most accurate and popular Scotiabank's email format is first + last (ex. JohnSmith@managedmoneyreporter.ca). Scotiabank also uses first (ex. John@managedmoneyreporter.ca) and first [1 letter] + last (ex.Does Scotiabank have WhatsApp? ›
Customers with Deposit Accounts can directly share their account information with third parties using email, SMS or WhatsApp when making a transfer – Scotiabank, non-Scotiabank or International.What is the difference between email and secure email? ›
Plain text emails are easily read by anyone, regardless of whether that person was the intended recipient or not. With secure email encryption, individuals and enterprise systems render the contents of the message unreadable as the email is sent from origin to destination.How do I use secure email? ›
- On your computer, go to Gmail.
- Click Compose.
- In the bottom right of the window, click Turn on confidential mode . Tip: If you've already turned on confidential mode for an email, go to the bottom of the email, then click Edit.
- Set an expiration date and passcode. ...
- Click Save.
Sign in to Scotia OnLine to view your account, transfer funds, pay bills and more. Call us toll-free at 1(800) 4SCOTIA (if you're in the continental U.S., i.e., excluding Alaska) or call us collect at (416) 701-7200 if you're anywhere else in the world.Does Scotiabank send emails? ›
Scotiabank will never send you unsolicited emails asking for your password, Personal Identification Number (PIN), credit card, account numbers, or any other personal or banking information.Why am I getting emails from Scotiabank? ›
Always remember that Scotiabank will not call you, send you emails or text messages, or present you with unexpected web pages asking you to validate or restore your confidential information such as your password, PIN, access code, credit card, account numbers, or account access.Is there an email format? ›
What is an email format? An email format includes a subject line, greeting, body, closing line, and signature. Keep subject brief, personalized greeting, use clear language, end with a suitable closing line and signature for an effective email.
- From your Accounts page, select Manage My Accounts.
- Under Personal Profile, go to Email and select Update.
The most accurate and popular Government of Canada's email format is first. last (ex. John.Smith@canada.ca). Government of Canada also uses first [1 letter] + last (ex.Can I access Scotiabank app outside Canada? ›
Absolutely. There are three easy ways to access your Scotiabank accounts while outside of Canada: Online and mobile banking Sign in to your account online or in the app to view your account, transfer funds, pay bills and more.Can I access my Scotiabank account from another country? ›
Can I access my Scotiabank accounts outside of Canada? Sign in to Scotia OnLine to view your account, transfer funds, pay bills and more. Call us toll-free at 1(800) 4SCOTIA (if you're in the continental U.S., i.e., excluding Alaska) or call us collect at (416) 701-7200 if you're anywhere else in the world.Can WhatsApp access my bank account? ›
WhatsApp can be used for stealing money from your bank account; Here is how. WhatsApp users are advised to use this communication App carefully as sharing of this vital item may lead to loss of money from one's bank account.What is a secure email connection? ›
Secure email technology adds encryption to all of these elements: The messages themselves are encrypted at the file level via Open PGP. TLS/SSL encryption is added to SMTP to secure messages as they're sent. And TLS/SSL encryption is added to IMAP and Pop3 to pull from the server.What is security email address? ›
Email security is the practice of protecting email accounts and communications from unauthorized access, loss, or compromise. Organizations can enhance their email security posture by establishing policies and using tools to protect against malicious threats such as malware, spam, and phishing attacks.What is secure server email? ›
A secure email server works just like a regular email server, except it uses advanced security protocols to protect your emails: Strong encryption: A secure mail server only uses secure connections to transmit data. This includes protocols such as Transport Layer Security (TLS) and end-to-end encryption (E2EE).