- ⏰Average Time: 3-5 Minutes for Reading
- 💻Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7
- 💾Applies to: Clone M.2 to M.2, Clone M.2 to VNMe M.2, Clone NVMe M.2 to M.2, Clone SSD to M.2
- 🛠️M.2 Clone/Upgrade Tools:1. New M.2 SSD; 2. Disk Cloning Tool; 3. Screwdriver.
|Main Steps||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Step 1. Prepare M.2 SSD||Check the number of SSD slots on your PC...Full steps|
|Step 2. Clone M.2 SSD to a Larger One|
1. M.2 disk cloning software free download...Full steps
2. Tutorial: upgrade & clone M.2 SSD to...Full steps
|Step 3. What to Do After Cloning|
1. Make cloned M.2 SSD bootable - boot PC...Full steps
2. Manage old M.2 SSD...Full steps
🙍♂️"How do I clone my M.2 SSD to another 1TB M.2? The 128GB SM.2 SD on my laptop is getting full. So, I boughta new 1TB M.2 SSD to replace the existing M.2 SSD. Can I clonethe 128GB M.2 SSD to 1TB M.2 SSD without installing Windows?"
Are you also facing the same situation to replace your M.2 SSD, but don't want to reinstall the operating system? Don't worry, on this page, you will learn what is M.2 SSD, how to upgrade and clone M.2 SSD to a larger M.2 SSD, and what to do after cloning M.2 to M.2 in a complete guide.By inserting both SSDs into the slots, we shall start the whole cloning process with no problem.
📖Note:If you've already bought the new M.2 SSD, jump to Step 3 in Part 1 to start the M.2 to M.2 cloning process.
Cloning a hard drive to SSD can optimize the computer's performance without reinstalling Windows or losing data. Cloning M.2 to a larger M.2 SSD also works the same.Before you start, follow the stepshere to prepare your new M.2 SSD disk ready:
Step 1. Check the Number of SSD Slots on Your PC
- Open the Laptop or Desktop computer case with a screwdriver.
- Then check the number ofSSD slotson your computer.
📖Note: In case your computer doesn't have enough slots to connect the other SSD, check how to clone M.2 SSD with only one slot.
Step 2. Buy a Right M.2 SSD
When you are ready to purchase a new M.2 SSD, remember three things:
- M.2 SSD must share the same length as the SSD slot in your PC.
- If your PC has one slot, buy anM.2 SSD and an M.2 SSD USB adapter.
- The capacity of the new M.2 SSD should be twice or three times bigger than the old one. (500GB and 1TB are hot on Amazon.)
- If your PC has one SSD slot, connectthenew M.2 SSD to the computer via an SSD USB adapter.
- If your laptop or desktop contains two SSD slots, install the SSD:
💻On a laptop: Open M.2 slot > Slide M.2 SSD inside the slot > Screw the SSD drive in > Finalize and cover.
🖥️On a desktop computer: Find the M.2 connector, labeled as "PCIe" > Insert M.2 SSD inside the slot > Secure the M.2 SSD with the mounting screw.
Step 4. Initialize New M.2 SSD
To guarantee a smooth M.2 to M.2 cloning process, you needto initialize the SSD first.
- Open Disk Management, locate and right-click the original M.2 SSD.
- Select "Properties" and check the partition style of your source SSD.
- Right-click the new M.2 disk and select "Initialize Disk".
- Set the partition style the same as the source disk (MBR or GPT) andclick "OK" to confirm.
Now, you are good to move to Part 2, starting to clone M.2 to a larger M.2 disk on your own.
Part 2. How-to Tutorial: Clone M.2 SSD to a Larger M.2 SSD
In this part, you'll get the answers to these questions: "How do I clone an NVMe M.2 Hard Drive", "How do I transfer my OS to M.2", etc. Let's start:
Here, the reliable SSD cloning software - EaseUS Todo Backup can upgrade and clone M.2 SSD for you.
What EaseUS Todo Backup Can Do?
- Flexible and easy to clone hard drives and SSDs.
- Compatible with various types and brands of M.2 SSD.
- Clone SSD to a larger SSDwithout reinstalling Windows.
- Copy everythingon your disk to a new disk,including personal data, Windows OS, system files, installed applications, account settings, etc.
Download and use it to start M.2 SSD cloning!
Support Windows 11/10/8/7
With EaseUS disk cloning software, follow the tutorial here to upgrade an M.2 SSD to a larger M.2 SSD with ease.
Step 1.Launch EaseUS Todo Backup and click "Tools"at the top right corner, you can see clone and other utilities.
Step 2.Choose the source disk or partition as well as the target disk. (Make sure the space of the target disk is larger than that of the source disk or partition.)
Step 3.The clone would permanently wipe out all data on the target disk/partition. If you have backup your data in advance, just click "Continue."
Step 4. Click "Proceed" to start cloning.
Video Tutorial of Cloning M.2 to Larger M.2 SSD
The steps of cloning M.2 to M.2 are merely the same asthis video. You can also follow this videoas aguide.
Part 3. What to Do After Cloning M.2 to M.2 SSD
So what to do after cloning M.2 to M.2 disk? Two things that you need to complete:
- 1. Boot PC from the cloned SSD;
- 2. Manage and make use of old M.2 SSD.
If the M.2 SSD that you cloned is an OS disk and you forgot to set it as a boot drive, you'll encounter with cloned SSD won't boot issue.
Step 1. Install the cloned new M.2 SSD to your PC.
- If the PC has one slot, replace the old M.2 SSD.
- If the PC has two slots, insert the new M.2 disk into the empty slot.
Step 2. Restart PC and press F2/F8/F11 or Del to enter BIOS.
Step 3. Go to the Boot menu, change the boot menu,set the new M.2 SSD as the boot drive.
Step 4. Press F10(or F8/F2)or save the changes, then restart the computer.
Wait patiently until the computerboots up, and log in with your account. And you can use everything on the new M.2 disk now.
Once the computer boots up, you can now follow the tips here to manage your old M.2 SSD:
- If your computer has one slot, you can connect the old M.2 SSD as an external disk, wipediskdata tosell it, or use it as an external data drive.
- If your PC has two slots, you can delete all existing data and use it as a second data drive on your computer now.
📖You may be interested: How to Partition SSD.
If the post is helpful for you, please share it with your fans and friends.
So, that's it. The whole process of cloning M.2 to a large M.2 SSD is presented on this page. Three important things that you should remember:
- 1. Purchase the right SSD and install it correctly on the PC.
- 2. Clone M.2 to M.2 with the right disk cloning tool (like EaseUS Todo Backup).
- 3. Set PC boot from Cloned M.2 SSD.
EaseUSTodo Backup is a dependable and professional disk cloning application that will make cloning your M.2 SSD a breeze. Download and try it out.
Support Windows 11/10/8/7
People Also Ask about M.2 SSD Clone
If you have more questions about M.2 SSD or disk cloning, follow the questions and answers here. Hope the answers can help you out.
1. M.2 vsU.2, which is faster?
Accordingly, M.2 is a small-sized disk that directly connected to the motherboard. While U.2 can be defined as a high-capacity disk connected to workstations and server motherboards.
U.2 SSD is much faster than M.2 SSD. U.2 used 4 PCle lanes, giving 4GB/s for data read and write while the M.2 SSD only has around 2500MB/s speed.
2. How to Move Windows to SSD?
To move Windows or migrate Windows OS to SSD, you may follow the tips here for a try:
- Connect or install SSD to PC
- Initialize SSD
- Clone Windows OS to SSD via a reliable Disk Cloning Tool
- Set SSD as boot drive and restart PC
Clone Windows 10 to SSD
If you are looking for a reliable method to completely migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD or clone Windows 10 to SSD, EaseUS Todo Backup can be the best choice for you, though it's not the only solution.
3. How Do I clone an NVMe M.2 hard drive?
The steps to clone an NVMe M.2 hard drive are similar as listed on this page:
- 1. Connect or install a new disk to PC.
- 2. Initialize Disk if it's a brand new disk.
- 3. Clone NVMe M.2 hard drive to the target disk via disk cloning software
- 4. Set the new disk as a boot drive if the NVMe M.2 was a boot drive.